Monday, November 14, 2016

Email Reps

Day 5.
What can I do here from home that will actually help?
I'm going to start with emailing my representatives. After all, if I don't ask, I can't receive.



Googling my reps....oh look my congressman is blue. Handy.
Now what to say, specifically... Um. What does this guy do anyway? It's a waste of time to ask him for stuff he has no control over. (Ugh i know i should know this. Apologies to my 4th grade teacher)

Right. Day 5: Educate myself on how the US government function....Okay each state gets to senators and a number of representatives (based on population). All these people are congresspersons. Senators have 6 year terms. Reps get 2 years. And, jeez, that's not much time. They really need to get to the job with a handful priority topics and stick to it, or they likely won't get voted back in again.

Still, I feel like writing my reps and senators is way more effective than signing random petitions or marching with non-specific wants. (that's my opinion. you do things your way! we need all the voices) And with this free site, democracy.io it's a one stop email and done.

I'm going to pick a current and specific bill that I dislike.,. say why specifically... then mention my over all interest in clean energy and environmental topics. And i'll make sure to mention I'm an actual constituent. Now I send it to my two state senators and my one house representative for my zipcode.... and... send.
But now what? How can they possibly have time to read all these letters? Is it like a raffle? Should I send it a couple of times? Or once a week?

In a DailyKos article it says, "Your Senator is beholden to at the very least, 700,000 people, and at the most, tens of millions.  Granted, your enlightenment and engagement in the political process should and do count for something, but keep in mind that your individual constituency accounts for 0.000285%, or less, of the voters in your state.  Yes, you care, and that counts.  But that doesn't make you the Senator's personal trusted adviser on anything."

Hrmm. Yeah. I'm a drop in the bucket. But if you write too. And that keeps going... well then we have something. So on faith, I'll write. Once per issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment