Sunday, November 13, 2016

How to fight hate

Facebook is on fire with unrest. My community is freaked out by kids in the local middle school halls shouting "white power". It's hard to stay cool, calm and active. But I have to be. I can't fight fear and hatred with fear and hatred. I go back to Martin Luther King Jr. quotes to help me focus:

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

"Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend."

What I want, more than anything on my list of political ideals, is for us to come together. We as a people. The 2016 election has been so divisive; it has set neighbors against each other and that has to stop.

Today's agenda: 1) Wear my safety pin. It signifies that:
---I'm an ally
---It reminds me to take action if I see racism/intolerance
---I see others are wearing it and instantly I know I'm not alone

2) Post up a really useful video on what to do if you see a racist attack (Realize this is from an amazing resource: http://www.filmsforaction.org but don't let myself get distracted yet because, darn it, Internet, I've got to be effective here!)

I have seen and heard racist things before and I didn't say anything. Has that happened to you? I think it's because, in my heart I believe most people are good. And then there's racism and I don't understand. My brain goes into a loop of cognitive dissonance and I don't manage to get words out of my mouth. I'm hoping that being prepared with these guides will help me snap the hell out of it and do something next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment